This news is not new, but tanning beds are BAD…very bad!! They are not only bad for your skin, but for your health as well. I can remember being in high school and everyone running to the tanning beds a month before prom or spring break. WE NEEDED TANS! We knew there was a risk, but we thought that this happens to other people…not us. We were so wrong. I have been with Air-Tan for almost 4 years, and I have met many women of all ages who are survivors of melanoma. Here are 5 reasons why tanning beds are bad for you:
- Skin cancer–The risk of melanoma from tanning bed use is 59% for people whose first exposure to artificial UV rays in a tanning bed occurred before the age of 35! (statistic from mfne.org/prevent-melanoma/dangers-of-tanning/)
- Burning skin–Have you ever gone to the tanning bed and got burned? One blistering sunburn can double your chances of developing melanoma. So not worth it!
- Wrinkles and sun spots–UV rays are known for damaging your skin instantly and later on down the road. Suns can cause this as well, so lather up that sun screen!
- UVA rays–This is what the tanning beds use and they penetrate the skin deeper than UVB rays.
- Base tan myth–A “base tan” does not protect you like you think. Tanned skin cannot protect you from sun burns, skin cancer, or aging skin. In fact, it is said that it only serves as 3% of SPF!
The statistics for harm done from the tanning beds are scary. I understand the need for wanting to look tan, and that is why Air-Tan is here. If you have any Air-Tan related questions, give us a call!
Broad Ripple- 317-254-8267
We now offer online booking! Click here or download the MindBody app and search for Air-Tan.
Featured image credit- http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/tanning-salon-secrets