It’s still officially fall, but the weather definitely looks and feels like winter already! I’ve already noticed my hands are starting to dry, crack, and flake. It’s time to start switching up our routine a little bit to protect our skin from the harshness of winter. Here are my top tips of winter skin care tips:
- Switch to an oil-based moisturizer in the winter. The oil creates a protective layer on the skin to retain moisture, more-so than a water-based moisturizer.
- Moisturize more often.
- Still use sunscreen! Winter sun + glare from snow can still cause UV damage even though it’s cold outside.
- Hands are the dryest because they have the thinnest skin and fewer oil glands than the rest of our body. Always wear gloves while outside in the winter cold.
- Use a humidifier to moisten the dry, hot air in your home/office.
- Exfoliate your skin more often in the winter to get the dead skin off and moisture in.
- Switch to a glycerine-based or petroleum-based foot lotion in the winter to avoid cry, cracking feet.
- Avoid clay-based masks, alcohol-based toners and astringents, and harsh peels in the winter. Use cleansers and masks that use the words “gentle,” “milk,” “foaming,” and “hydrating” instead.
- Air-Tan! It will keep your skin glowing and beautiful year-round even in the dead of winter!