For Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Year’s Eve and whatever else you may find yourself celebrating this holiday season, food will be in no short supply. There seems to be a holiday party of some sort around every corner. That often means the dreaded holiday weight gain, too. Don’t let that happen this year! Take charge of your body, and waistline this holiday season by following some really easy steps that add up to fitting in those sexy skinny jeans on New Year’s Day.
- Never Arrive Hungry
- Have a healthy snack before you go out, so you aren’t ravenous by the time dinner is served.
- This also prevents mindless noshing beforehand which will help you make healthier choices.
- Drink a big glass of water before you start eating. Often we confuse dehydration with hunger.
- Bring your Own Dish
- Bringing your own dessert will make the more fattening alternatives less tempting.
- Go to the farmer’s market and grab some fresh seasonal fruits to try out a fun, new recipe.
- You can even try your hand at your own edible fruit arrangements which is a great conversation starter.
- Creativity counts!
- Walk it Off
- Make a new holiday tradition: the family walk. Besides burning some extra calories, this will get everyone away from the food for awhile.
- Just get off the couch and move!
- We like to walk around our neighborhood, weather permitting, and look at all the fun holiday decorations already on display.
- If it’s too cold or rainy, we turn up the tunes and have a fun dance party!
- Hit the Snooze on Booze
- Alcohol often leads to weight gain because it packs a lot of calories without making you feel full, and at the same time stimulates appetite and loss of inhibitions that can lead to reckless eating.
- If you want to join in the holiday festivities, stick to a glass of champagne or wine, light beer, or create your own non-alcoholic holiday cocktails.
- My favorite holiday drink is 6oz. sparkling wine, shot of citrus vodka, splash of pomegranate juice, splash of pineapple juice, garnish with a cranberry! Low calorie, satisfying, and pretty.
- Always follow a serving of alcohol with a big glass of water!
The best things you can do for your body during this time are to make sure you get 8 hours of sleep, and drink lots of water. Water helps flush out toxins, stave off hunger, promotes weight loss, promotes regularity, helps improve your skin, and it’s free! Another really great thing you can do for your mind and body is to get an Air-Tan! We can take 10 lbs. off in 15 minutes! Call any of our three locations to make your appointment before the holidays!
Broad Ripple: 317-254-8267