Did you know May is national Skin Cancer Awareness Month? Before working here, I don’t remember hearing about skin cancer a lot. It still isn’t talked about nearly as much as other types of cancer, yet it is the MOST COMMON type of cancer in the U.S. Every year, there are more cases of skin cancer than breast, prostate, lung and colon COMBINED. Alarmingly, the American Cancer Society estimates an additional 1,000,000 cases of melanoma go unreported each year, and that number is growing.
Before becoming aware of the true dangers of the sun, I had really no knowledge of skin cancer. I have worked at Air-Tan for three years now and see evidence of skin cancer every single day in the spray room. I also know someone from high school who is currently undergoing treatment right now for skin cancer. He is 27 years old and has Stage 4 cancer that has now spread to his bones and organs. Cancer really is not a joke. One thing I have learned from talking to people who have been diagnosed – it does not matter your skin tone, how long you’ve spent in the sun, where you live – anyone can get it. Literally – anyone.
I am so glad I now know the facts and will NEVER put my skin through a tanning bed or lay out in the sun ever again. Do you know the facts? If not, here they are:
- Treatment of nonmelanoma skin cancers has increased 77% between 1992 and 2006.
- 1 in 5 Americans will get skin cancer.
- Over the last 30 years, more people have had skin cancer than ALL other cancers COMBINED.
- The vast majority of skin cancers are associated with UV ray exposure.
- Of the 7 most common cancers in the US, melanoma is the ONLY ONE whose incidence is increasing.
- A person’s risk for melanoma doubles if he/she has had more than 5 sunburns at ANY age.
- One or more blistering sunburns during adolescence more than doubles a person’s chance at developing melanoma later in life.
- Ultraviolet radiation (tanning) is a proven carcinogenic.
- Just one indoor tanning session increases users’ chances of developing melanoma by 20 percent, and each additional session during the same year boosts the risk almost another two percent.
- Just one indoor tanning session per year in high school or college boosts the risk of basal cell carcinoma by 10 percent. That risk is increased to 73 percent if one tans six times per year.
Now do you see why we are completely obsessed with Air-Tan?! It is 100% UV-FREE and will not cause cancer, wrinkles, or leathery skin. Any COLOR on your skin (from the sun or tanning bed) is sun damage. The “base tan” people like to get in the tanning bed or outside before a vacation so they don’t burn, is a complete myth. It doesn’t matter how you do it, any UV rays hitting your skin are actually damaging your skin and increasing your odds for skin cancer. If you haven’t tried Air-Tan before, come try us. You will look natural – our solution works with ALL skin tones – with ZERO of the harm and a small fraction of the time it would take if you got tan any other way. Always remember to use SPF and stick to the shade when you do spend time outdoors.