Since my last post was about wintertime hair care tips, I figured I may as well throw in some skin care tips. My face has been dry and flaky since the end of October, so I guess that means it is time to switch up my beauty regimen. Here are some tips to avoid dry, flaky, chapped wintertime skin:
1. Just like with hair, when we turn on the heat inside our cars or homes in the cold weather, it affects our skin by drying it out. Switch from your normal moisturizer to one that has non-clogging oils. These will help moisturize and protect your skin while outdoors.
2. Don’t forget about sunscreen. Just because it is wintertime, sun and glare from snow can still burn and damage your skin.
3. One of my biggest wintertime problems is my hands. 🙁 Like my face, they get extremely dry and crack. They also peel. It is horrible. To protect your hands and their thin skin, be sure to always cover with gloves when going outside.
4. Get a humidifier. This will help counteract all the drying out that the indoor heating naturally creates. It will add moisture to the air, and, in turn, your body.
5. Avoid superhot showers and baths. 🙁 As good as one might sound, extreme heat breaks down the lipid barriers in your skin, creating a loss of moisture. Try to take quicker, and slightly cooler showers and baths.