It’s still surprisingly warm in Indiana, but we all know what lies just ahead of us…A chilly winter! It’s just a matter of time before it hits us. Before the cold hits, get prepared to protect your hair! Cold temperatures affect our locks, causing them to deteriorate in the winter months. Want a few tips to keep your hair shiny, moisturized, and fab throughout the winter? Here they are!
- Even if you’re hair is not damaged, use shampoo and conditioner designed for damaged hair during frosty months.
- To encourage follicle growth and to protect your roots, apply pure castor oil or a conditioner containing castor oil overnight.
- You’ve probably heard this before, but don’t overuse your blowdryer. If you do have to use it, use on “cool” or on the lowest setting.
- Color-treated hair gets dull in chilly temperatures. It is especially important to moisturize colored hair in the winter.
- You’ve probably heard this before too. Try not to wash daily. I find this especially hard to do, because I feel like my hair never straightens as nicely on the 2nd day. I like to spray a bit of dry shampoo on my roots, then use a curling iron to create just a few soft curls on the 2nd day. The extra oil in my hair keeps my curls all day long and the curls give my hair the bit of oompf it needs on that 2nd day when it would otherwise look a bit flat.