Be honest. How often do you clean your makeup brushes? I used to be so bad at cleaning them, and only did it when absolutely necessary. Gross! But I’ve gotten into the habit of doing it weekly, which is so important when you think of all the dirt, oil, and bacteria that builds up on them with every use. All of that is getting put right back onto your face with every use. Not to mention that makeup brushes can be expensive, so you want to be sure to make them last! So here is what I do every weekend to make sure my brushes stay in tip-top shape.
Supplies you need:
- baby shampoo or makeup brush cleaner, like this one
- clean towel or papertowel
- Run your brushes under warm, but not hot, water.
- Put a dime-sized amount of baby shampoo or cleaner in your balm.
- Move brushes around in your palm, creating a lather. Rinse brush and repeat until water runs clear.
- Gently pinch the bristles together to get the excess water out. But do not twist or be rough with them! You want to be sure the hairs stay in the brush.
- Brush the paper towel or cloth to reshape the bristles.
- Lay the brushes on the towel or paper towel and wait for them to dry. You definitely want to lay them flat, so the water doesn’t stay collected in the bristles.
And…done! Not too bad, right?