I always thought that sunscreen was only for when I went to the beach or lake. I didn’t know until recently that you need to wear sunscreen every day–even in the winter! Not all sun damage happens in the summer.
Here are a few reasons why:
- UV radiation exposure increases 4-5 percent with every 1,000 feet above sea level. Skiers and snowboarders take note: according to the Skin Cancer Foundation, the higher your elevation, the greater your exposure to harmful UV rays. Plus, snow reflects and intensifies sunlight.
- There are some fantastic moisturizing sunscreens that also include ingredients such as peptides, which address the condition of the skin and the signs of aging. Broad spectrum means the sunscreen protects against both the short UVB waves, which cause sunburn to the top layer of skin, and UVA, which has a longer wavelength and damages living tissue in the lower layers of skin.
- Many people avoid wearing sunscreen, especially in winter, as they believe it can cause breakouts. The answer to this is simple: look for non-comedogenic products, which won’t contain skin-clogging ingredients.
- Avoid sunscreens that contain artificial colors, which can not only be irritating, but also comedogenic.
- Remember to choose sun protection products that also contain a good dose of antioxidants to fight those very nasty free radicals that want to wreck and age our skin. My favorite is Supergoop!®’s City Sunscreen Serum SPF 30. It has all that good stuff for your skin, but it doesn’t clog your pores. I apply it in the morning under my makeup, or just wear it on it’s own if I’m just running errands!
A 2013 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that test subjects who used sunscreen daily decreased the speed of the skin’s aging process by 24% compared to the group that did not. So if the health benefits aren’t enough to motivate you to wear SPF, let its antiaging properties persuade you! The best way to get a healthy glow without the risk or damage from the sun is to get a custom applied Air-Tan! Call any of our three locations to schedule your appointment today!
Broad Ripple 317-254-8267