Many Air-Tan clients are very aware of the harmful effects of the sun and tanning beds. I’ve found a few news stories that will interest our health-conscious, fabulous Air-Tanners.
- Skin cancer still possible in winter–This brief news clip talks about the importance of wearing SPF in the winter. I’m definitely guilty of not being as vigilant of my SPF usage in the colder months. But I’ve been trying to remember to add a moisturizer with SPF to my daily makeup routine. I haven’t found one that I completely love yet, but when I do, I’ll definitely share it with you.
- Men are twice as likely to die from skin cancer–Women make up the VAST majority of our Air-Tan clientele, which of course women are more image-conscious than most men, so it makes sense that they are more likely to choose the healthier tanning option. I feel like men don’t give it as much thought or care as much about getting wrinkled as they get older, so they may be neglecting to religiously use their SPF. Even worse than wrinkles and age spots is melanoma! I can’t tell you how many giant scars I’ve seen on men and women alike from getting skin cancer removed–and it’s not cute. Many guys think that getting an Air-Tan is too girly for them, but ladies, you should talk your man into hitting up our Broad Ripple or new Fishers location to get a little color. It’s not worth the risk of being out in the sun!
- Proposed bill to ban tanning salons from serving minors–This is a great article! It gives a map of the US and shows what kind of regulations, if any, each state has on minors using tanning beds. I totally wish I would have listened to my mom when she told me to not go to the tanning beds!! But of course I replied with, “But everyone else is doing it!” This article interviews a girl in her twenties who was diagnosed with skin cancer at age 24. At the end, she leaves gives a great analogy, “Your skin is like an elephant. “It never forgets what you do to it.” TOTALLY TRUE! While we can definitely try to reverse the effects of skin damage, it can never be totally undone.
Main takeaways of these articles:
- Don’t forget your SPF.
- Don’t forget to make your man put on SPF.
- Air-Tan, Air-Tan, Air-Tan!! No tanning beds. It’s never too late to break the habit, and anyone at any age can be diagnosed with skin cancer.